Saturday, June 13, 2009

Facing Technique for Small Work

I mentioned in an earlier post that I use a modified "pillow" facing for my small work and I received several emails requesting information on that process.



The picture above shows a piece which has been quilted and is laying face down on a cut of fabric that will become the facing.





This is a close up view of one corner and you can just make out where I have stitched 1/4" inside the edge of the quilt. Once I have done this, I trim off the facing material so that all edges are flush. I do stitch twice around each corner to reinforce.




In this photo you can see that all edges are now even. Using a chalk pencil, I draw a line from opposing corners which makes an X. This X marks the center of the work.





If the piece you are working with is not square, you will add a 90 degree angle from the center of the X . You can see this in the above picture. This step is not necessary if the piece is square.





The next step uses a paper circle from a set of paper circles I purchased from a quilt shop. I use the largest circle and line up the marks on the circle with the 2 90 degree marks on the fabric and this centers the circle. If the work were square, you line up the marks on the circle with the X and that centers the circle.





I mark the outside of the circle with chalk and cut out the center.





I trim diagonally across each corner and push each corner out as much as I can. These corners have a rounded contour. I then finger press the edges and put on clips to keep things in place while I turn and stitch the inside circle. It turns very easily.


This is how it looks on the back when completed.

4 comments:

  1. What a unique way of finishing a quilt.
    And if the quilt police were to see the back they could see you stitching.
    Job well done and tutorial well done.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I might have to spend time in jail. Recently I have been so focused on the fronts that it hasn't occurred to me to think about the color of bobbin thread in relation to the back. Glad you like the technique and directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your finish looks terrific. Thanks for sharing your method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. It is neat, relatively fast and looks good.

    ReplyDelete