Saturday, February 27, 2010

Study In Black and White



Study In Black and White


This fall I had work in Quilt Visions: Interpretations exhibition. As part of this show, participants were invited to send a 12" x 12" piece in black and white for a second show.

I sent a piece titled Study In Black and White for this event but failed to photograph the work. I also did a blog post, Sometime You Feel Like A Nut, about doing that. The piece was returned and it has been documented so I thought I would share it with you.


This piece was cut from a larger length of cloth I had painted. While I sometimes soda soak my fabric, most of the time I use mixed alkali to activate my thickened dye paste. I have fallen in love with the freedom of painting directly on the fabric or on an acrylic sheet and mono printing from that.





Since the piece is small, I did a lot of stitching using pearl cotton, embroidery thread and quilting thread. I like the little ends I left.





The secondary show was a sort of fund raiser for Quilt Visions and all the work was priced the same and I felt sure I'd never see this one again but alas I was wrong. I decided a long time ago that I don't know what people want so no need to worry.

I washed out about 12 yards of monoprinted fabric today so I'm ready to rock and roll.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Terry. I like the way the dye bleeds out at the edges of the marks and the stitches add so much texture. The tail ends are great. Nope, you can't figure people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that middle detail! would make a great piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy and Elizabeth. This is a nice little piece and I look forward to creating some larger works in this manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice marks and stitches. I'm enjoying watching your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been away for the weekend and am now catching up on blogs etc. Love this piece ie colours, patterns and the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. too bad it didn't sell but I'm glad it came home so we can see it! good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stitching creates a lot of movement through the center. It's really a great piece, I'm surprised that it didn't sell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy. This piece is going to be part of the SAQA auction. Check it out athttp://www.saqa.com/news.php?ID=1423

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Click on: http://www.saqa.com/news.php?ID=1502

    this will take you to the auction.

    ReplyDelete