Detail of Monet waterlilies painting
During the Masterclass I recently participated in with Dorothy Caldwell, Dorothy shared a list of questions that French artist Monet wrote relating to his art. I loved the list as it is so timeless.
- What is that dam thing out there? (Imagine the aged whiskered man saying/writing this...in french.)
- What does an idea look like? (I always imagine that art legends know even if I don't.)
- How does this whole mess fit together? (Repeat....I always imagine that art legends know even if I don't.)
- Does this line have integrity or is it girlie? (I suppose "girlie" as in Not Strong.)
- What have I made up and what have I observed? (Think of his waterlilies. I saw them in person for the first time last summer and I'd say it is about 50/50 for the waterlilies.)
- Of all the things I can do what shall I do? (Now there's a question! This is the reason teachers give assignments and why it can be so difficult making work when you have everything from which to choose.)
- Will I ever get it right? ( Does it surprise you that Monet would ask himself this question? I am somewhat surprised and it makes me think he was rather grounded.)
Thank you for spending time at Studio 24-7. I love hearing from you and Remember....
Commenting is FREE!!