Thursday, June 21, 2012

Learning Patience


Patience can teach you how to do things in a new way.


A little over a week ago I broke my arm.  I'm doing ok but I will have a cast for some weeks.  This brings me to my topic: Learning Patience.

I would have included a photo of my arm but when I saw the above image for a MacDonald's ad I had to use it instead.  It is the perfect demonstration of the plight of all of us when we are given a new challenge.  The challenge might be an arm in a cast or not having the perfect studio or ________.  You fill in the blank.  You know what you want to do but you can't do it in the usual way or like everyone else does.  At that point you are faced with the choice of blowing your cool, throwing the "burger" against the wall or you can put the sandwich in the other hand and enjoy your meal.

Ask What If? is the title of one the workshops I teach.  One of the exercises is called: What If Things Change?  The thought behind this lesson is that life and life circumstances are never static. We get into ruts.  Ruts can be lovely.  You just jump in and follow the well worn path.  You don't look right or left or up or down.  You just move forward.  It sounds good but think about it this way.  You plan a trip from the east coast to the west coast.  You have a magic carpet but it only works on one connecting highway.  This means you'll miss all the sights that aren't on this one route AND if an evil genie zaps your carpet from underneath you you may not have a clue how to proceed.  In the class we then explore "doing things differently".

My left arm is the "booboo"arm but happily I am right-handed so I am learning how to wrangle fabric, scissors, dye, sewing machine with that precious appendage.  I have spent a few days cutting and sewing strips.  Pinned them all to my design wall stared at them for several days,  then took them down and from that magical place new fabric found its' way onto the wall and I have a new piece underway that shows promise.  It could not have materialized (no pun intended) if I had not relaxed and "put the burger in the other hand".

By the way I'm learning to type with one finger.  Neat ;-)

Thanks for spending time at Studio 24-7.  I love hearing from you and remember:

Commenting I Free!!!

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, so sorry to hear about your arm. But you know, there are no accidents, really. It must be your time to learn patience and doing things newly. So enjoy it while your arm is healing. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie! I'm being a good patient and trying to learn that lesson! xo,t

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your BooBoo!! Hope it heals Good As New!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks marcia! i'm moving ahead and staying positive.

      Delete
    2. Actually, when I was teaching, we had a course and text book for 1-handed touch typing. Only ever had 1 student who needed it though. I'm sending positive, healing thoughts your way!!

      Delete
    3. Perfect! right now my skill level is best described as "index finger touch typing". xo,T

      Delete
  3. Wow, Terry, good for you to type up a blog post with those limitations! My (fill in the blank) is realizing I can't tolerate the VOCs from acrylics....can I say water color?
    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey marcia. i'm thinking about a course in 1 finger speed typing!

      i am not familiar with VOC but i will investigate. all the materials we use are very complex it's hard to imagine what we are exposed to. watercolors sound good. thank you for your wishes!

      Delete
  4. Wow,Terry, what an accident. Change is occurring for me also as I have thumb arthritis and wear a brace and face a surgery with a six month rehab.

    I have had to give up knitting and binding and doing much hand work. I am currently thinking through ways to edge finish quilts that do not require handworked facings.

    It is a loss, although you will recover,but also a new way to look at my own creative processes.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to hear. i have had to keep reminding myself how fortunate i am. take care and thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Terry, so sorry your arm's broken! You're being very good natured (as always), resilient and resourceful. May all your other-handed burgers materialize into promising things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey ellen! i'm trying not to be a pill ;-) just have to keep working and before i know it i'll be a free woman again. xo,t

      Delete
  6. So sorry about your arm! I'm happy for you that was the left and not your right one. Keep up the good spirits and creative juices. Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I'm putting a new piece together right now.

      Delete
  7. You are one spectacular woman. Right on Terry. Thanks for the words of wisdom in the face of adversity. love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! Doing my best to keep a good attitude ;-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Terry, So very sorry to learn of your broken arm. May the (healing) force be with you through the hot days of summer. What you say is so true. Some of the best times I've had when traveling is when I'm open to change and discovery instead of following a predictable routine.

    Good luck on your road through patience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Maddy. It is hard for me to "chill" but this is teaching me I can operate at more than one speed. xo,t

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang, girl! Broke a limb, did you? So sorry to hear about that. My job as an X-ray tech came back to me when I read your post. I know it must be frustrating, but I like that you are able to make it work for you, and adjust your thinking about things. Embracing the change...you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peg. I am doing much better and hope to be back to full speed soon. I had really nice xray techs by the way! xo, T

      Delete