Monday, June 11, 2012

Up Date On Ironing System



I'm sitting at my computer trying to learn to "hunt and peck" as my left arm is badly sprained.  There may be a few more typos than usual ;-)  On Saturday I was hurrying down my hallway to grab something from my indoor studio and I tripped over an electric cord and threw myself about 12 feet across the carpet as I tried to regain my footing.  I did not succeed. The result is two banged knees, a spectacular black eye, rug burn on my forehead and cheek and the impaired arm.   I have chosen not to go to the doctor at this time as I'm sure it is "only" a bad sprain.

I'm not a good patient and have little ability to "just sit".  Yesterday I practiced one handed knitting, listened to a book, slept through a movie and sulked.  I recently established a Pinterest account so I can at least work on that.

At this point you may be asking what this has to do with my Ironing System.....It was the cord from my iron that was the trip-wire.  In order to not block the view of my design wall, I have my ironing board and iron right in the entrance into the studio and there isn't an outlet nearby so I strung the cord out into the hallway.  Bad idea.  Now we recall that there is a plug in my ceiling, right above the iron and we will use that.  Just needed to jog my memory.

About the Iron.  A few weeks ago I began to have some calcium buildup in the iron which caused some spitting and sputtering.  Very distressing but easily fixed.  I emptied the water reservoir, steamed out the water already in the system, washed the sole plate and began using distilled water.  So far so good.

I have a ton of work I'd love to be making but this situation is going to require some flexibility on my part.  To those of you who have been in my "Ask What If?" workshop, think....."What If Things Change."

Tomorrow I'll have a new post with a few remarks on Textiles In A Tube 2012.

Until then....BE SAFE OUT THERE!

Thank you for spending time at studio 24-7.  I love hearing from you and Remember:

Commenting IS Free!!! and don't get tripped up.

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Last week we found a very sick little racoon in our backyard. He had distemper. I'm sure that is the reference here ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'll certainly try. Tom just finished installing a socket so I can plug my iron in without leaving the room. I've been thinking of you. Hope all is well!

      Delete
  3. Yikes Terry, that scenario sounds awful. Glad you didn't break a bone. Reminds me of when I fell during my trip (literally) in Germany. Made me feel upset, vunerable, and stupid. Yes..."What if conditions change?" is a perfect way to view this event. Take good care and heal up...you might still want to get checked out at the Dr.'s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your description of how you felt is exactly what I felt...especially since I created the hazard. I'm doing some simple sewing today which makes me feel better. xo, T

      You are on my blog for tomorrow ;-)

      Delete
  4. Years ago, my Mom fell on an outside staircase. She was sure her hand was just bruised but out of an abundance of caution she went to the doctor. The doctor also thought the hand was just bruised but exercised a similar abundance of caution and took an X-ray. Imagine everyone's surprise when it turned out that her thumb was BROKEN in FOUR PLACES. Your hands (not to mention your eye and your brain) are your livelihood. Not that you asked, but I'd say indulge yourself with an objective medical opinion. Not that you asked.

    concerned,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie. I'm still watching to see what needs to be done. My eye is spectacular!

      Delete
  5. Been there, sorry to say.

    I left a basket outside the door to the laundry and in my haste to get down the hall to my studio, I forgot the basket was there, didn't turn on the hall light and tripped right over it. I dislocated my shoulder & that put me out of commission for a good while.

    I'm not fond of running to the Dr either but sometimes it is necessary.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra. We do get in a hurry, distracted and sometimes - in my case- careless. I will go to the Doc if necessary but not just yet. Hope your shoulder is AOK!

      Delete
    2. My shoulder has never been the same since that dislocation but it works well enough to quilt!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear of your accident-I can remember doing something similar (actually more than once) and hated the feeling of not being able to do anything afterwards, as well as feeling stupid for it happening in the first place. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail. It is so interesting how many people have said what you have said, about feeling stupid for it happening. I've also heard "feeling venerable". Something like this really puts "things" in perspective. I'm taking care for sure.

      Delete
  7. Ouch! There but for the grace of God goes each and everyone of us. I can't count how many times I've done something similar or a little warning goes off yet barely registers! Hope it really is nothing serious and you have a speedy recovery. Take care and don't fight your mandatory respite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. I love the phrase "mandatory respite". Just a day or so before this happened I told a friend I'd like to just sit and knit all day but it made me feel guilty. Guilty of what I'm not sure. I also relate to the idea of a warning which we ignore. So true so true. I'm taking it easy but adding in anything I can do that doesn't hurt ;-)

      Delete
  8. So sorry to read about your accident, Terry. (You did make it sound pretty spectacular.) But all those injuries must be very painful. Now you have to listen to everyone telling you to slow down when that's the problem that you ARE slowed down. Anyway, I hope you heal quickly and get back to the fast-paced life with a little more caution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the note. It turns out that my arm is broken:-( I'm going to have the final cast put on this morning. I'm trying to collect myself and get focused and keep a good attitude. Great to hear from you.xo,t

      Delete
  9. Terry, just read this post and hope you recover quickly and the pain doesn't persist. Be well,
    Bye for now,
    Aryana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you aryana. i'm still not totally sure if this is going to require surgery. just trying to learn how to do things one handed ;-) onward and upward!

      Delete
    2. Ugh, sure hope you don't need surgery. About a month ago I did the unthinkable - got my left index finger stuck underneath a running sewing machine! Without thinking, i pulled my finger away from the machine with the needle stuck inside! It did not go all the way through the other end of my finger, but instead was wedged inside so we couldn't even try to pull it out. Off we went to the ER, and the doc could not get it out due to the angle of penetration along with the tip of the bone being hit. They made emergency arrangements to have a hand surgeon meet me at another hospital on Sunday morning (yes, this happened late Saturday afternoon). Man was that painful! Plus, it was the same finger whose tip was shaved off by a rotary cutter a few years ago, so now just picking up a pin is a challenge. What we do in the name of art............Gotta keep smiling!

      Hope yours is all better by now!

      Delete
    3. aryana, my experience pales in comparison! bless you and all good wishes for a speedy and perfect recovery.

      i am doing fine but still waiting for decision as to what i need to do. will keep you posted xo,t

      Delete
    4. Terry, believe me, a broken needle in my finger pales in comparison to your experience! At least I didn't need a cast and I was out and pretty much healed within a week. Now let's try to remember to pace ourselves, right???

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you did a little more than "jog" your memory. I'm glad you went to the doctor. I'm sorry the arm is broken. I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lisa. i checked out your blog and enjoyed much. have added you to my fave blog list.

      Delete