Monday, October 1, 2012

How to Dye the Rainbow



Carol Soderlund


I just returned from a week of study with Carol Soderlund at The Crow Timberframe Barn.  The class was Carol's in-depth color class - Color Mixing for Dyers - Part I.  It was fantastic!

I've tried to think about why it took me so long to take this class.  The best answer I can come up with is that I have had good success dying on my own and didn't feel the need for the class.  Now I  understand the full scope of the information this class covers and wish I had taken the course years ago.  Getting color onto the fabric is an important skill but it is only one part of the program.  We were engaged and working from the minute we arrived until 5p.m. the last day and I only managed to complete the insertion of one third of my samples into the swatch book we created.  (I can't wait to do this!)

So what are some of the things we learned:

  • Sophisticated protocol for working with MX Procion dye
  • Dying from a limited number of Pure Colors
  • Three New Color Families for Swatch Book
  • Exploration of Multiple processes for applying the dye
  • In-depth discussion of the components of the dye process
  • How to formulate dye concentrations as well as how much dye is necessary for various depths of shade
  • How to use the metric system....much easier than our system...for measuring dye, salt/soda ash, water and fabric
  • How to correct errors by over-dying 
  • Extensive formulas for colors
  • Actual repeatable colors in a huge swatch book
  • Explanations on how to use the swatch book 
  • Exercises to evaluate how various PFD fabrics take dye
  • Exercises to created value runs 
  • Exercises examining Complementary Color relationships
  • And much much more





Carol with several students examining samples.



At this time I am not dying huge amounts of fabric on speculating that I'll have a use for it at some future point.  Rather, I am more interested in dying specific colors for specific uses.  This new information is perfect for me as I will be able to look in my swatch book, find the color I want and dye with confidence.

I want to add that while Carol's system does allow for repeatable color, she is very clear that she often dyes by "eye", meaning that she uses the book to remind her of the base colors and what they can produce and then she works freely to create a mix that she wants.  

We had a great group in class and I'm sending everyone a big hello.  There were artists with all sorts of art interest in the class including quilts, clothing and dolls.  I took only a few photos as I was too busy doing the work.

Thank you Carol for a very well organized, intense, informative and fun week!

***


Thank you for spending time at
Studio 24-7.

I love hearing from you and Remember...

Commenting Is Free!!!




23 comments:

  1. Hi Terry, you captureed the class beautifully :). Carol really opened a whole new window of color and fun for us, didn't she? Our class was so much fun. It was wonderful to you, Leslie, Randall, Julie and so many others. I am on the last few pages of putting my book together. Looking forward to dying fabric in the warm Georgia sun later this week once the much needed rain stops. I am already signed up for part 2 of our class for next year : ). Happy dyeing. Hope you post your some of your results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah! Yes, the class had great substance and I plan to review my materials soon. The information in this class fills the tool belts of dyers who have a need to not just get good results, but understand how the results were achieved! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Hello Terry,
    It was an awesome class . We did learn so much and you have captured what we have learned so well in this article. And the photos are excellent. Mine didn't turn out that good. I see Deborah has already signed up for part 2, how cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thelma! Thanks for dropping by and commenting. It was indeed awesome and fun and meaningful. On Friday I felt as if my head might explode ;-) Great to have met you and I'll see you again down the "Sunshine Family" Yellow Brick Road.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Carol, she has been an awesome mentor and friend to me. I took this class a couple of years ago at a retreat in MI and fell in love with the process. Very intense class, but a lot of fun and the information I gained was invaluable. SOOOO glad you had the opportunity to take it! Have you signed up for Color Mixing II? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Judi! Great to hear from you. I have not signed up for Part II as yet....need to work with info from Part I first. Carol is an excellent teacher and I hope to join her another time for another excellent adventure. xo, T

      Delete
  4. What an adventure you've had! Carol is awesome! I've taken workshops with her, but not this one. I've just dyed 36 yards - my second time solo and first time with real yardage. So much to digest! Several more dyeing sessions and I'd get it down pat - maybe.
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey California Girl! Carol is awesome. One person called her "a dying legend". That about sums it up. I loved the class and it made many things much clearer for me. Great to hear you are well and Hugs back to you! T

      Delete
  5. Can I just purchase fabric from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I'm not that productive ;-) Bet there are those who would be happy to help you out. xo, T

      Delete
  6. I like that I'm not the only one who waits to take classes with particular people only to realize I should have taken the class sooner. I'm going to sign up for that class!
    I love the pic of Randy!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed. Be sure and wear your track shoes!

      I loved the picture which showed Randy and everyone was so focused. Thanks for commenting. T

      Delete
  7. and now you have "THE BOOK"!!! GRIN!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes ... as soon as I complete the taping. This swatch book features Carol's 3 new color families. Hope I don't have to hire a bodyguard ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry, it's so cool to read your write up, and to see all our colors so perfectly arranged! Brilliant photos, and such a great class (I'm wondering, like you, what took me so long). Carol is fabulous, and I so enjoyed meeting you and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diana! Great to have you here. The fact that I waited is sort of funny because my personal motto is "Why Wait?"

      Hope we'll meet again along the way and I'll be checking your esty site!

      Delete
  10. You only worked until 5 pm every day?
    I was there in August studying with Carol and she had us busting our bu**s until 7 or 8 pm.

    She is a treasure to us dyers, isn't she?

    So much to learn and not ever enough time.

    Pam in SW Fl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pam! Let me clarify that. Carol is a treasure. We always worked until 5 and sometimes until after the dinner bell. We only took 1 hour lunch breaks and I still brought home work to finish. Now that's a more complete picture. No one can say they don't get their monies worth in this class!!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious. It's as if the atomic matter of my entire being has been re-aligned, and I'm now tuned further into the world of color and it's dreamlike language. What power from the class, I feel that I've received information that is so rich, I would expand on the single week the rest of my life! And the people-Man, I am grateful. (Miss you, love you)~*Eryn in stank-ass hot California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eryn! That's the coolest comment I've ever had!!! Loved being in class with you and hope that happens again along the way. The class was a mind expander for sure. Unlike you, my book is still in progress. I worked on it too long yesterday and finally stopped when I wasn't sure if the last couple of pages were correct. Will review today. Big hugs to in Steamy California. xo, T

      Delete
  13. Hi Terry, Thanks for such a thoughtful write up of your experience. It was so great to spend a week with all of you!
    Happy colors of fall,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. The funny thing for me is that what I'm dying is BLACK. I get to use allllll the colors ;-)

      Delete