Monday, February 17, 2014

New Textile Constructions - Part II


 Untitled - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
13" x 13" - Fabric - Cording - Monoprinted - Painted and Stitched



Last week I showed 3 new small works made from a variety of fabrics I had around my studio.  This week I continued to work and completed 3 additional pieces and I still have more materials for the future.




Untitled - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
13" x 13" - Fabric - Cording - Monoprinted - Painted and Stitched


One of the things I'm enjoying about this work is what I perceive as the perspective that seems to be present.  Some of the work looks like ariel views, some landscapes while one makes me think of water and water plants.  This is one of the aspects I've always enjoyed about non-objective work, you see what you see.  Your imagination and your experience with the world come together and something special happens.



Untitled - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
13" x 13" - Fabric - Cording - Monoprinted - Painted and Stitched


The upcoming week will not be a studio week as we have guests coming in from the San Juan Islands off the coast of Washington state.  I'm looking forward to good conversation, music, food and friends.  Can't beat that.

Thank you for stopping by
Studio 24-7

Always love hearing from you!

10 comments:

  1. I love these new pieces, I hope you continue to develop them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry-

    Your description of working abstractly is so true. The materials combined with your personal experience and what happens as you create all work together to create the meaning behind the piece.

    Thanks for sharing that and your new work. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. Viewing art is such a personal experience as is making art. Aren't we lucky!

      Delete
  3. Exciting new work. Always good to see what you are up to. I love the way those two almost-grays fight with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice. I always love a good "fight". xo, T

      Delete
  4. I really like these! They 'speak' to me, which is my personal yardstick of Good Art. How do you get that cool bubble texture? I monoprint but have never figured it out. Do you sit the unpainted fabric into a puddle of watery paint? I love the contrast of the painted pieces and the repeated lines of the cording. Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy. Thanks for your supportive words. The "bubbles" result from the paint being brushed onto the previously stitched fabric.

      Delete
  5. I am wondering what kind of ink/paint you use to do your mono printing and how long of a work time it gives you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, The monoprinting in this work was done using thickened dye so it has must be allowed to set at least several hours and sometimes for much longer. Sorry I don't have a specific time but there are many variables. The best thing to do is to experiment in your studio environment to see what works best.

      Delete