Monday, June 16, 2014

The All Important Signature


Today I received a new book , Art & Soul: Notes on Creating by Audrey Flack which got me to thinking that I need to reinstate a page on this blog which features my list of good books for artists.  I had this page a while back but somewhere along the way it disappeared.  While flipping through the pages one title caught my eye.  It reads, Picasso As A Star.  Flack relates the story of how Picasso once signed a napkin on which there was no art, just some doodle, and his signature was therefore more important than the art.  From this act of ego, Flack attributes Picasso with the contemporary role of artist as egomaniac.  I don't argue that but Picasso had a substantial resume of ego acts to his credit.

For those who have taught in high school I feel confident they have seen "The All Important Signature".  This is the large scale sprawling signature which covers the entire lower right hand corner of a drawing or painting.  This is the signature which the student artist has seen on commercial reproductions of some famous or not so famous artists and they have practiced their "soon to be famous" signatures numerous times.  This signature becomes much more important than whatever is underneath and is in no way a good addition to the work.  Thankfully most textile artists sign their work on the back.

I can't wait to read the other tidbits of art lore contained in this little tomb and I will be working on my Reading List page to be published later.

***

Thanks for stopping by
Studio 24-7
I've been away and will be
away some this summer but
like Arnold S. said
"I'll be back!"