Sunday, September 28, 2014

Intersecting Paths


Hard at work during Design Bootcamp 1 at the
Crow Timberframe Barn.

I'm sitting in my hotel waiting for time to head to the airport after a week of teaching at the Crow Timberframe Barn in Baltimore Ohio.  I just had breakfast with two of class participants as we all decompress of an exciting week of exploration, discussion and working to better understand the Elements and Principles of Design and how to use that basic information in the development of art.

Classes or workshops of this type are intense and jam packed with information and insights but one of the wonderful pleasures is how the experience fosters new relationships and long lasting friendships.  If you participate in workshops over a couple of years you begin to see people you have met previously.  You know their work, where they live, their sense of humor, something about their families and many other details about their lives that in other situations might take years to uncover.  Friendships are cemented with a mix of desire to move ahead in your art practice while doing that in an open studio where you are not only under the eye of an instructor and classmates but often students from other classes as well as an occasional visitor.   Tension is often released through casual conversation and door to friendship is opened.

I value the many friends I have made in classes I have taken and classes I have taught.  If you have not yet ventured to try a workshop I highly recommend it as a way to push yourself ahead in your work and learn something new.  I also think you'll make new friends and connections and that's always a good thing.

Hello to all of my friends and thank you to the people who over the past few years have invested in their art by studying with me.

...

Thank you for spending time at
Studio 24-7
where comments
are always welcome and always
free.