Monday, May 30, 2016

Paint, Paper and Fiber - Tom Dimond and Terry Jarrard-Dimond



Vortex - Terry Jarrard-Dimond - 2014
12.5" x 13"
fabric, dye, powdered charcoal, string, stitching



Thursday evening May 26th, 2016 was the reception for the two person exhibition, Paint, Paper and Fiber featuring my work and the work of Tom Dimond.  We want to thank everyone who came out as well as the staff of the Art Center of Clemson SC.  You made the evening!

In addition to having an opportunity to talk with individuals about the work both Tom and I gave a gallery talk.  Gallery talks are such a treat for artists as it is a chance to share some of what happens in an artists' studio and how the work is brought into fruition.

Actually, just having the work hanging on white walls, nicely arranged and well lit is a treat and I find it to be a time to re-evaluate how my body of work is developing.  (I hope my work will always be 'developing'.)




Evidence of Life - Terry Jarrard-Dimond - 2016
10" h x 7"w
Oil/Cold Wax on oil paper


My contribution to the show was new encaustic and oil/cold wax paintings and fiber pieces which spanned perhaps a five year period.  I am pleased to say that my art vocabulary was clearly evident throughout all of this work.  My love of mark-making, smudges, shape and clear composition are some of the aspects I value in my art.  Perhaps the most notiable differences between the paintings and the fiber work was the color palette and the scale of the work.  Most of the fiber pieces feature a neutral color palette while most of my paintings are colorful and varied.  My paintings at this point are also small with the largest pieces piece being 12" x 12" and the largest fiber piece is 50"h x 34"w.  Learning how to work small has been a challenge but I am beginning to develop a feeling for this new small scale work but intend to work larger in time.




Valley Scape - Terry Jarrard-Dimond - 2016
6"h x 9"w
Oil/Cold Wax on oil paper


My art is developed during the process of making the work.  I do not begin with detail sketches or plans but rather I begin with a feeling of where I want to go. If the work offers me an interesting and different path I often choose that unknown direction and my willingness to allow the work to direct me is a big part of why I keep making art.  The excitement of seeing the work come together is my "runners high".  It is the light at the end of a tunnel.  The sunrise after a dark night.  It is finding my way through a dark forest.  This may sound overly dramatic but this is how I experience the resolution of a successful piece.  I get excited. Sometimes I am relieved.  Art is a demanding endeavor but it is this process of discovery that I seek when working.

A few weeks ago I wrote about artist Tom Stanley's show at Hampton III Gallery in Greenville SC.  Stanley described his process of developing work as  "call and response".  This description really rang true to me.  As artist works we make choices which results in "something" happening.  It might be something good or not so good but either way we must respond. This process continues until we find the work we were looking for OR we find something quit new which propels us forward.

My experience with fiber is built of years of working in that medium.  I have a certain comfort level with that medium but my experience with paint, regardless of the specific type of paint, is less developed. At this point I am thrilled to see myself in this new medium.  My marks.  My shapes.  My layering.  My preference for specific spacial relationships etc.  My job with paint is to be open to the possibilities and enjoy the experience.

Check back in on Wednesday May 1st 2016 for my thoughts on the work of Tom Dimond.