Monday, August 1, 2016

Framing Encaustic Paintings

Salt - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
Encaustic - 12" x 12" - 2016


I have always loved what a mat and frame do for works on paper.  The mat gives the work relief from whatever you place around it and the frame and glass/plexiglass protects and finishes the look.

Most painters frame their paintings but I have seen others who leave the work unframed and perhaps paint the edges of the work to give it a more finished look.  Many artists who work with encaustic paint do not use a frame.  They tape the edges of the cradled board before they start the work and then remove the tape after the work is completed.  This keeps the edges clean so than when a patron purchases the work and hangs the work they don't end up with paint smudges on their wall. 

Perhaps one reason a frame often isn't used is the cost of frames as they are expensive.  If you make your own frames the wood is costly and making a frame takes a lot of time.  I was excited when I first discovered float frames which work nicely with cradled boards.

Float frames are made so that you place the board in the frame from the front and there are screw holes already in the frame and you just insert a screw, add hangers and you're done.  The frames are constructed in a way that there is a space between the edge of the painting and the inside edge of the frame.  You still need to clean the edge of the painting but the painting seems to "float" inside the frame....thus the name....floater frame.

In researching this type of frame on the internet I found some beautiful frames and they are startlingly expensive....example: $135 for a 12" x 12" unfinished wood model from a well known source.  Beautiful but out of the question for me.  I found others at lesser prices including one from Dick Blick.  This frame comes in only 3 three finishes and the only one I would ever use is black.  I wish they had a natural finish as well but right now they do not.  They do offer a number of size combinations and the cost for this 12" x 12" was about $25.

What do you think?


Salt - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
Encaustic - 12" x 12" - 2016



11 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about these frames the other day. I've been doing about 50% of my work on paper these days and I need an attractive way of hanging them without placing glass between the work and the viewer. I love the floating effect they have, too. I love the piece in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. This style frame is really perfect.

      Delete
  2. My encaustic teacher at Arrowmont had a neat and cheap solution using quarter round from Lowe's. It does require being able to make miter cuts, which I need to figure out. I have pics I can send

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may already know this but . . .
      If you think you'll be making a lot of frames, look into getting a miter saw, or find someone who has one and work out a price just for the cuts. Accurate mitering is trickier than it deserves to be.

      best
      Melanie

      Delete
  3. I haven't used the DB frames but I do get frames when I need them from floridaframes.com . I am limited if I am using a 2 inch depth cradle but I try to not frame those pieces. Thanks for your input, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reference to floridaframes. I will check this out. I wish they had prices right on the site but they seem to have some very nice choices.

      Delete
  4. I don't make the effort to frame my pieces. I probably should. This piece of yours looks GREAT in the black frame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tend to mess the edges up so the frames help.

      Delete
  5. Good frame, and I adore this piece. I know you're looking for a good price and there's the rub, we can't get want we want and also be on a budget when framing is involved.
    I wish the frame itself had a thinner facade. This one looks like it's 1" or 1.5" I'd like to see it with 1/4" to mimic the thinner lines, more delicate lines in your work. I agree that float frames are the way to frame these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I sell a few things maybe that will improve my choices!๐Ÿ˜

      Delete