Monday, August 29, 2016

Reorganizing To Make Life Easier


Freshly Organized Storage




Trying to keep track of your artwork can be a challenge.  The most basic part of that is how the work is stored and then being able to find a specific piece when you want it without taking apart everything you own!

Many artists who work with fabric store the work on a bed.  That's great as the work is flat however if the piece you want is under 6 other piece it isn't easy or fun or extract. I also don't have a spare bed to use for storage purposes.

Some people fold their fabric pieces to store by stacking the work on a shelf.  That works but I don't like the fold line or wrinkles that seem to develop in my work when it is folded.  Perhaps it's the intensity of the stitching or maybe the batting I use as I have been told that everyone doesn't get these flaws from folding.....but I do.




Ends of rolls.  Still looks complex but I now know which
shelf to check.



I have always rolled my  fabric work.  I use large (3 1/2 inch diameter) foam noodles that are sold as pool toys.  The brand is Khuna and they work great.  The Khuna noodles have a hole in the center and I put a pvc pipe through this so the roll is rigid.  The work is rolled face out around the noodle then wrapped with white muslin and slipped into a plastic sleeve.  The sleeves come from Uline and are boxed  as a roll.  The sleeves can be cut to any length you need.  I tie the ends shut and attach a photograph of the piece with the name underneath the picture for easy identification.  Without this there is no way I can find what I'm looking for.  I have a nice heavy duty metal shelf and the rolls are stored there. I often put the hanging rod inside the bag with the work as well.

Even with the tags it can be hard to find a specific piece so this weekend I took everything off the shelves, checked for proper labeling and rearranged everything.  I kept a list of which shelf the piece is on and I am adding that to my Excel Inventory.  As new work is added I will include the shelf number with all the other information in my inventory.

Most of what is stored here is fabric but I saved the bottom shelf for my new encaustic and cold wax and oil paintings.  I want to develop some order for this work as well so that it can be easily located.  This kind of operation is not something I love to do but I love the end results!

Even with the tags it can be hard to find a specific piece so this weekend I took everything off the shelves, checked for proper labeling and rearranged everything.  I kept a list of which shelf the piece is on and I am adding that to my Excel Inventory.  As new work is added I will include the shelf number with all the other information in my inventory.

Most of what is stored here is fabric but I saved the bottom shelf for my new encaustic and cold wax and oil paintings.  I want to develop some order for this work as well so that it can be easily located.  This kind of operation is not something I love to do but I love the end results!

7 comments:

  1. So efficient! I store mine on rolls too, but if they are rolled tight enough I can stand them up against a wall- but over time some of them have slumped down and one edge is all crumpled. This happens when you roll two of different sizes together like lazy me. BUT now that I have cut up all my work up to 2000, I can do as you do- I'm going to preroll all the work in separate bags and label appropriately. This was on the to-do list anyway, so thanks for the nudge! (I haven't figured out a system for paintings or collages or encaustics yet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my hero for being a good self editor. I have a number of pieces in trunks which were the pieces I first made and they are not what I would ever want to represent my life's work. I will put it on my to-do list to get rid of them. I did cut up a few large pieces when we moved a couple of years ago. I looked at them and ask myself "What was I think?" Snip snip xo, T

      Delete
  2. Very impressive organization! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. My husband is a painter and we have both made and collected lots of work over the years. Always looking ways to get thing organized!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder, I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ya! Time for me to tackle this project as well! I was supposed to deliver a quilt for an exhibit on Saturday but when I went to collect it, I could not find it! After 2 days of searching, I finally found it in the nick of time to deliver it! This will not be happening again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You now know that bad feeling of not being able to find your work. Enjoy the reorganization!

    ReplyDelete