Monday, September 12, 2016

Fabric Collage




Untitled #1 - 14" x 14" - Dye painted cotton, appliquéd and kantha stitched


In October Tom Dimond and I will be part of an exhibition at the Upstairs Artspace in Tryon, NC.  The show is a couple exhibition featuring 3 couples where each partner is an artist.  The opening is Saturday October 22, 2016 and will close December 2, 2016.  More information will be presented later.






Untitled #2 - 14" x 14" - Dye painted cotton, appliquéd and kantha stitched



Each artist will have approximately 10 works and I plan to exhibit both textiles and paintings.  The pieces pictured will be part of the exhibition and will be matted, framed and under glass as I find small fabric pieces show very nicely this way.






Untitled #3 - 14" x 14" - Dye painted cotton, appliquéd and kantha stitched


Most people are familiar with the use of the term collage in reference to paper but from my point of view when fabric is stitched to another layer of fabric that is also collage.  In the work presented here pieces of fabric were first composed and machine stitched to a larger piece of fabric and then hand stitched using a running stitch or kantha stitched (the same) with embroidery thread.  I do use a thin layer of Theramore batting between the image fabric and a very open weave fabric for the back so it is easy to stitch.  The fabric you see as the image was hand dyed, hand painted and monoprinted with thickened dye.

While I have made some large work with lots of hand stitching, I find I prefer these smaller sizes.  They are easier to handle as I can hold them in my lap and of course they work up more quickly.  There is also the issue of my right hand which becomes painful after too many hours of this type of work.  

I love seeing this work along side my new paintings.  They support each other and make for an interesting show.

13 comments:

  1. I love these new smaller works. Combining your design sense, hand made images and wonderful hand stitches.
    Love this series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. These small works have been a bit of a revelation to me. I love to work large but size often limits where the work can be shown and it also raises the prices limiting the number of potential collectors. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I, too, love this series. The texture and colors of these fabric collages are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! My plan to to continue this series but see what I can further introduce to make them interesting. xo T

      Delete
  3. Love these fabric collages. I too have been using large hand stitches on several pieces but mine were larger works. Did you use some sort of support like a hoop to assist or just have the piece loose while you stitched?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. I began by having the work flat on a table where I put in enough stitches to hold the layers together. After that I held it in my lap. I do the same when working on larger pieces. Xo,t

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love them! The hand stitch with strong composition is a winning combination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Appreciate your sharing your support.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to echo what you've already heard: I love these. Looking forward to seeing everything you create for the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vivien. The show will be a mix of fabric and painting and most of the pieces has been shared on my blog during the past months. I appreciate your interest. xo, T

      Delete