Thursday, December 8, 2011

One Stitch At A Time



Quick Study

Like most of you I have all sorts of fabrics in my studio. Some are large pieces and some have been cut into many times. The above snippet of fabric is a piece of mono-printed fabric that came from a very productive printing session and the fabrics from that session keep popping up.

I enjoy the marks on the fabric and responded to those marks in this little study by simply stitching over them in a pinkish white. I liked it enough that I decided to try another slightly larger study with pieces of the same fabric.



Pieced fabric composition


This little composition is roughly 15" square and will serve as the base for new stitching.



Stitching in early stage.


I decided to create a square within the square and stitch inside that area, varying the number of threads I am using. You can see how the value of the stitching is changing. I'm not sure how I will proceed but I may keep it VERY SIMPLE. The stitches begin with three strands and end with one strand.



Detail

This small exploration fits in nicely with my interest in Simplicity and Complexity. I'll just have to see if the "acorn" grows into a tree or blows away with the wind.

Thank you for spending time at Studio 24-7. I love hearing from you and Remember:

Commenting is FREE!!!




12 comments:

  1. Very cool Terry. Moving from three strands to one is really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome composition and it comes alive when the threads do their dance! Peace, Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen and Mary Helen. I'm enjoying the impact of these small differences. I'll post the work again when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Love how the physical marks made with stitches interact with the printed marks. Heading for my monoprint stash now.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Margaret! Thank you for commenting. Yes, I can see why you enjoy this study after seeing your work! You can check out Margaret's blog here: http://www.magsramsay.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture of these small pieces, Terry. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just thrilled with this work. The change in weight of the stitched marks you are able to make with thread is just grand. oh...must get back to stitching. We're in this together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Girl! I'm glad I'm going to have another pair of hands ;-)

    I've got to get busy and complete this one. xo, T

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this new exploration you're doing with stitch... will keep an eye out for what comes of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Judy. It's very different for me. Best to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the serendipity of this whole project, and can't wait to see what comes next...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Pamela. I have completed the stitching and now I want to figure out how to mount the piece. Stay tuned ;-)

    ReplyDelete