Tuesday, July 27, 2010

COLOR IMPROVISATIONS - Work by Terry Jarrard-Dimond



In my last posting I presented some casual shots of the COLOR IMPROVISATIONS installation in Stuttgart, Germany. Today I am presenting the three pieces I had in the exhibition.

This work represent a year of studio time. In the process producing work for the show I experienced many highs and lows but when I saw the work installed, reviewed the catalog and met the people attending the reception all of the lows melted away and I gave into the pride I feel being in this show.

FOREST FLOOR - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
78.25" x 78.25"
Hand-dyed cotton, Freecut, Machine-Pieced and Machine Quilted
Photo: Kuhnle+Knodler Fotodesign BFF, Radolfzell



Forest Floor was the first piece I successfully completed. I began the work for this show before I had all the facts relating to the show. I actually constructed two pieces which are still in my closet. They were put aside because they just didn't represent my work. A third piece was completed but it didn't fit the guidelines. That piece is very nice and is entitled Mysterious Stranger. The show is the brain child of Nancy Crow and she had requested we work in a four-plex format. Mysterious Stranger was designed in 4 units but the units are long rectangles. Perhaps it would have been acceptable but I choose not to submit it for the jury.

Forrest Floor has some elements that are a little different for me as I incorporated elements which are very soft and flowing. There is a large figure on the right side which presented itself and I decided to allow him to dance around the forest and continue performing the ritual he is engaged in. The most difficult part of the composition is bringing the four large squares together without the composition looking like units. The color is just as rich as the picture shows. Most of the fabric is a high quality type of muslin which is no longer being manufactured. I spent about 18 months trying various fabrics, found this one and now it is gone.....




FIGURE IN BROWN - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
81.5" x 83"
Hand-dyed cotton, Freecut, Machine-Pieced and Machine Quilted
Photo: Kuhnle+Knodler Fotodesign BFF, Radolfzell


After completing Forest Floor I had two failed pieces where I just couldn't get anything going. I tried beginning with some base colors which were very unique for me and these pieces just died on the wall. It's a very humbling experience to find yourself having this experience right at a time you want to do your very best. About that time I attended a week of open studio and the flow of energy present in that studio was just the right boost I needed to start moving ahead. During that time I constructed Figure In Brown.

I often find inspiration for work through color and that, along with my interest in the "bean" shape on the left, was the starting point for this work. Almost every piece of fabric in the work was fabric I over-dyed. Over-dying fabric brings richness of color, texture and surprises and because many of these were over-dyed at the same time, there is a harmony that is very pleasing.


Next came SCULPTURE GARDEN.



SCULPTURE GARDEN - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
80.5" x 82.25"
Hand-dyed cotton, Freecut, Machine-Pieced and Machine Quilted
Photo: Kuhnle+Knodler Fotodesign BFF, Radolfzell


This work has a broader color palette and a more complex structure. I made sculpture for many years and as I began assembling this work I saw that my feeling for three-dimensional space was coming forward. I enjoy looking at the overlapping shapes which manage to slide over or under it's neighbor and surface somewhere else.

I made one other piece before time to submit the work for the initial jury. After having 3 pieces selected I had to get busy and quilt and do the finish work. I have a good working space but I can tell you that managing 3 large pieces for quilting and finishing all at the same time was a trip. It has made me appreciate the joys of doing some smaller work ; )


The final step was the packing and shipping the work to Germany. I never fold my quilts but in this situation folding and packing in a box was the only option. I managed to put all three pieces in one 20" x 20" x 20" box. Ginie Curtze who handled the show is evidently a magician as my work looked fresh as a daisy as did all the pieces. Ginie will be handling the work as it travels and I thank you for all your hard work and expertise.


So now the work is part of an excellent exhibition which has it's own life. I won't see that work for a long time. I have hopes it will come to the US and if it does I will be there to greet it with a smile.

Thank you for stopping by. I love hearing from you.




Enhanced by Zemanta

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these excellent images and some of the background and inspiration for creating them. The more I look at your work, the more the complexities of them emerge to me. I love that I can come back to them and see more each time and reach a better understanding. I can only hope to reach that level in my work! It's reassuring to know, also, that most artists experience the lows and highs of creating. Starting can seem so overwhelming, yet when finished and having some success it reminds me that the work is worth the effort. Thank you Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, these are so gorgeous...! And so BIG!!! What a great honor being in this show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these, but I think Forest Floor has to be my favorite. I couldn't believe the size of these pieces. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing Nancy Crow's work in person at the Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center in Auburn NY, I really appreciate the free cutting of fabric. I am also excited by the size of her pieces and your pieces here. I think too many art quilters are settling for tiny, quick works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my lord. To hear your process on these getting "Wound up in the work" and then finding your flow again, is so on my brain these days. I see your sculpture background in these quilts, and they take my breath away. Congrats on persevering and finding your "ZONE".. funny enough I just posted about that place of stillness that we all create from... Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see that these were all pieced as four units until reading this post. I just saw one well designed composition, but now I can see the individual units. However, they were constructed, they are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to each of you. Working on a larger scale is a hard task master but like many hard things you stretch and grow and then you can stretch more. I do believe there is a common experience all creative people share and it is perhaps how we deal with those experiences that in the end is the most important thing. I am stepping back and learning new things and I'm actually working on some smaller pieces....something I have never done...but I know I can jump in on "big" now any time I like. Thank you again for commenting. It means a great deal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry I have seen these quilts in real last Thursday in Stuttgart and I just want to congratulate you and the other artists for all this great work. They are so big and so well done! My friend and I loved to look at them!
    greetings from Switzerland
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Terry - the pieces look great especially the last one with the blue figure stretching across it!! The artist stretches and knows her talent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your wonderful quilts. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them at the opening, and I'm looking forward to see them again next Tuesday (will visit the exhibition with a good friend of mine). Will say "Hi" from you to your quilts ;-))
    If I had to pick a favourite out of your 3 quilts - it would be "Figure in brown". That one touches me, and I'll try to figure out why next Tuesday. Thanks for sharing so much background information, I will see details I just did not see before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terry,
    Thank you for posting your work and the thought process behind it as you prepared pieces for consideration. Not being a piecer, I have a huge appreciation for the technical skills needed to construct these monsters.

    I have to admit being flummoxed as to why you would be requested to construct the work in a 4-plex format. That would present many challenges, particularly to get rid of those lines! You did well eliminating any hint of the four parts, especially with Sculpture Garden in which I do see your background in using form. Kudos.

    Congratulations on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Rebecca, quilthexle, Elizabeth, and swissquilter. I appreciate your taking time to comment. I have never inquired as to what the thinking was behind the concept of using a particular format for the work. I believe there are a couple of pieces in the show that did not follow that format, however, perhaps it gives an additional element to unite the work in the exhibition. You might think back to an exhibition where you felt there were good individual works but the show didn't "hang" well as a group. The work in Color Improvisations showed beautifully together. A SPECIAL thank you to my European Sisters who have the opportunity to see and report on the show. Please do let us hear more of your thoughts! Also, A SPECIAL thanks to Rebecca for introducing me to a new word...flummoxed. I love growing my vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terry,

    These are so rich that I can see other things in them than what you see/intended. That is the beauty of such art! I am also heartened by knowing that you had pieces in process that just didn't come together -- at least for this particular need. Encouraging to know I am not alone in all the "nice try, but put it away now" attempts in my own studio.

    Did I hear that this will be at FoQ? I'll be there teaching and will be thrilled to see the exhibit if I am remembering correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Rayna! I included the info about my process because I think it is important for people to know that art doesn't always just flow out with no struggle. It is glorious work but it is WORK.

    Rayns, I don't know what FoQ is? Enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terry, your shapes are thrilling. "Sculpture garden" is doing some dancing as well, in my opinion and I'm fantasizing about owning one of your art quilts.
    Congrats on the exhibition and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Shayla! It is always great to find people who appreciate work you have invested your heart into. One of the most energizing things about the Color Improvisations show was to see the work : out of my studio, installed in a professional space AND observing guests enjoying. I'm always looking for "good homes" for my work and I'm sure you would fall into that group ; )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Terry,
    Thanks for posting this beautiful work and telling us about your struggle to make it. Appreciating the many thoughts and decisions that contribute to creation is not the first thing we think of when we see such successful works, but that is what process is made of. You make it all look like it comes together effortlessly, but there have to be hours of work behind the scenes just composing and then all the finishing on top of it. Congratulations once again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was a nice surprise find your blog as I walked through the Artful Quilters blogs. I believe it was Oct. '07 when I attended a NC workshop and you were doing open studio at the same and presented your work to us. I was taken then by your work and now it's good to see more of your work here. Thanks for sharing the description of your struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Twila and Nancy. Nancy, I appreciate your many contributions to my blog. I think it is important to acknowledge the process of what it takes to make the work you truly want to make. I confess that I still at times hold to the fantasy of resolved work flowing from the artists hand but I know in my heart that when that happens it's most likely due to the continued determination from the days when it didn't flow.

    Twila. Thank you for clueing me in on where we met. That was a fun week and I enjoyed sharing my work with everyone. Please come again and hope to see you At the Barn again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I'm sure you had fun writing this article. Excellent entry! I'm been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete