Monday, July 20, 2009

WEEKLY TEXTILE CONSTRUCTION #13


Expressive Stitching - TC #13


On Sunday I am flying to Syracuse NY to attend Quilting by the Lake at Onondaga Community College. I will be taking a workshop with Dorothy Caldwell entitled Expressive Stitching and I'm very excited about this opportunity. I have not been using hand stitching in my work but I do use lots of machine stitching. I saw Dorothy's work in a group exhibition this past fall and was impressed with the beauty and power of her work and as a result of that experience I applied to attend this workshop.

Our preparation for the workshop was very simple. Bring one example of Expressive Stitching and one example of utilitarian stitching which resulted in being expressive. TC #13 is my example of intentional Expressive Stitching.

The body of the work was pieced from three different fabrics I made recently and I responded to the composition and the surface design in applying stitchery.



I feel very positive about the results. I especially like the texture the stitching gives the work. I used a running stitch in both embroidery floss and with quilting thread, french knots and what I call "rice" stitch.


The process was calm and intimate in part because this is a small piece - approximately 14" x 18".

It will be interesting to see how the workshop impacts my work.

I will not make posts while I am away but will be returning around August 6th. Until then, keep working......work produces results.