Saturday, February 27, 2010

Study In Black and White



Study In Black and White


This fall I had work in Quilt Visions: Interpretations exhibition. As part of this show, participants were invited to send a 12" x 12" piece in black and white for a second show.

I sent a piece titled Study In Black and White for this event but failed to photograph the work. I also did a blog post, Sometime You Feel Like A Nut, about doing that. The piece was returned and it has been documented so I thought I would share it with you.


This piece was cut from a larger length of cloth I had painted. While I sometimes soda soak my fabric, most of the time I use mixed alkali to activate my thickened dye paste. I have fallen in love with the freedom of painting directly on the fabric or on an acrylic sheet and mono printing from that.





Since the piece is small, I did a lot of stitching using pearl cotton, embroidery thread and quilting thread. I like the little ends I left.





The secondary show was a sort of fund raiser for Quilt Visions and all the work was priced the same and I felt sure I'd never see this one again but alas I was wrong. I decided a long time ago that I don't know what people want so no need to worry.

I washed out about 12 yards of monoprinted fabric today so I'm ready to rock and roll.