Wednesday, June 9, 2010

INSPIRATION: GERHARD RICHTER



First Section - Terry Jarrard-Dimond - unfinished



Internationally know painter Gerhard Richter is a German born artist who lives and works in Cologne, Germany. I have been aware of his work for some time and while looking through the March 2010 Art in America saw an ad for the Edward Tyler Nahem gallery who represented Richter's work at The Armory Show - Modern this year.

The advertisement featured a detail of a work entitled Abstraktes Bild. The richness of color, texture and layering is a visual feast. I am not showing that work as I do not have permission to do so AND I want to encourage you to visit his website: http://www.gerhard-richter.com/

Here you will find extensive information on this visionary and enormously productive artist along with wonderful videos of some exhibitions. Look at the range of sizes of the work from massive to very small. Enjoy the galleries as they are huge. It's fun because you can hear what it sounds like to be in the spaces and the commentator is very good.

After several days of studying the image in the magazine I decided to monoprint a piece of fabric and use the colors and general layout of the work. Of course there is the issue of opacity which dye does not have but serves painters very nicely. I have seen flickers of the illusion of opacity with dye on fabric but certainly can not intentionally reproduce that lush surface at will.



Layer One - It appears green but it is an intense yellow.




Layer Two - Fuschia




Layer Two - Detail




Layer Three - Intense Blue




Layer Three - Detail




Full View of Fabric


The color of photograph is not just right but you can see the general idea. Rather than do anything with the piece as a whole, I decided to cut the piece up and try to do something a little different with each piece. One of the things I found of interest when I looked at the Richter videos was a small series of painting on glass where he presented each work in relation to a second slightly different work. I often work in a diptych format so I may try to find or create a companion for each section that I have cut.




Another example of a section.


In the coming weeks I will share the results of this process here at Studio 24-7.

Thank you for dropping by and please feel free to comment. I love hearing from you.








22 comments:

  1. Great post, Terry! I'm glad to see your Richter inspired work. I'm sure you will find a way to make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richter, Shmicter! I love this work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post, Terry. What paint are you monoprinting with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Connie, I am monoprinting with dye. I haven't tried paint.

    Thank you Tom! Glad you like it...me too. Maybe we will run into Mr. Shmicter while we are in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I checked out his site, and was energized. Wow! I'll be spending much time there. Thanks for the great recommendation.

    The inspiration served you well. I loved the first photo especially and it was interesting to see how you build your color layers. Just like painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love this. Have to try it. Do you let each section dry before adding the next layer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Shalya. His work is amazing.

    Thank you Gerrie. I did not wait for drying. Despite this there was almost no bleeding between the layers. I too will be doing more of this. The color is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for pointing us to the Richter website. I have loved his work for many years but never thought to check for him online. I spent a long time with the "Atlas" pages. He would apparently cut pictures out of the newspaper and put them in a scrapbook, then later do large paintings from them. I was impressed to find thumbnails of the actual paintings underneath the scrapbook pages -- sometimes as many as 15 paintings from a single scrapbook page, and there are 800+ scrapbook pages!!!! This guy is a serious producer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for commenting Kathy. The volume of work is overwhelming but when the quality factor is added it's just breathtaking. I love it. There is lots of information on his site I have not visited and I have not visited the Atlas pages so I will do that. Gives a new meaning to working in a series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thanks for pointing us to Richter. He is prolific and wonderful, i'll be going back to his site when I have more time to study.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Linda. Isn't is super to find such an inspiring artist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :Swoon: Richter is one of my favorites! Thank you for reminding me to check his website. I, too, shall look at the Atlas pages.

    Your work is visually just stunning. How do you know when to stop adding layers? :) The transparency is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to hear from you Rebecca and thank you for commenting.

    For this piece I added layers of color until I saw the first hint of things becoming cloudy which can be a problem due to the transparency of the dye. I also wanted to have some white areas remain so I took that into consideration. This is one of the big issues with dye. You just have to keep looking and making decisions as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're amazing! Not many people can produce spot-on interpretations of an inspiration. I enjoy looking at the step-by-step photos as you move through the process. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Christine! Richter's work is so amazing that I had to do this. Can't wait to go to the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a prolific artist Richter is I had no idea. I am somewhat familiar with his work having seen it last in person that I recall almost 20 years ago yikes. At the time I remember thinking it was cold and stark and did not capture my imagination now I suspect I would have a different opinion.
    I was surprised to find what a complete website he has but thinking about it given his use of mass media it fits. i was unaware that photographs and mass media are the base of his work not surprisingly a controversial practice.
    I was struck by his 9/11 paintings what an incredible abstraction. His technique is so refined and the pronounced use of the canvas to get his desired effect is so successful.
    I loved the observation in one of the videos that Richter is never content to repeat himself.
    Terry your fabric is quite striking the color so rich love the depth you are creating with the layering I look forward to seeing what comes next.
    Thanks for suggesting we take a look at Richter's work. To dye for.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your process for this fabulous piece of art cloth! It's beautiful, so ripe with opportunity to interpret and utilize. I look forward to seeing this amazing fabric in a resolved piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just when I VOW to cut back on computer time, you introduce us to Gerhard Richter! LOL. Your interpetation is stunning as well.

    Thank you for consistently sharing and reminding us where to look to keep our eyes on the right targets.

    Looking at Richter's work is timely for me as I plough through a fascinating digital photography class with an outstanding professional photographer and a collection of students who are all inspirational at CCAD.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Penny, Quiltrobin and Diana! Richter's productivity is astonishing and the best part is the quality and depth of the work. I have never seen the work in person so that is a treat I hope to enjoy in the future. Like each of you, I aspire to make wonderful work and for me one of the ways to do that is to look at wonderful work. I'm so happy that you have found something here to feed your studio experience.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous, Terry, I can't wait to see the progression of this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Judi! I have this one ready to photograph. I am pleased so far and have several ideas for the next one.

    ReplyDelete