Friday, June 25, 2010

What's It All About?


Confronting the Moon
Hand Dyed Fabric, Machine Pieced and Machine Quilted
Terry Jarrard-Dimond


This fall I will have the pleasure of teaching at Quilting by the Lake 2 at the Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center in Auburn, New York. As part of that event I was invited to send a quilt for the show which will be held this summer during Quilting by the Lake. I selected Confronting the Moon because it is one of my favorites and hasn't been shown that much.

The folks at Schweinfurth requested we write a statement to be included with the work as an additional educational component of the show. This is what I wrote about this piece:

Shape and the relationships between shapes has played a large role in my work for several years. Confronting the Moon is a simple "story" about confrontation and how the perception of size and power can be altered by posturing and intimidation.

Wow! So that's what I was thinking! Well, no it wasn't exactly what I was thinking when I began the piece but that is what the piece says to me today. This little experience of writing that statement has made me realize that I need to do that EVERY TIME I COMPLETE A PIECE and then again in a month or a year or some passage of time. I had to do this in graduate school but I have not been doing this recently and I believe I have been missing out on some important information and insight. While some artists may begin every work with a specific goal or intention or idea, that is not true for me. My work can start from may different point and the "meaning" surfaces as the work is created. I think that makes it even more important that I pay more attention to my thoughts when a piece is complete.

Some months ago I did an Artist Profile on Arturo Sandoval. I don't ask for a huge amount of information from my artists but Arturo sent me a wonderful packet of statements that he has written over many years. I sat down and read them all and it was a great read. It gave me some excellent insights to his thinking and this type of information is historically significant both for his specific work and for what artists are and were thinking at a given time.

So, my intention is to write some type of statement about each new work and then revisit that statement in the future. I encourage you to do something along these lines. I know you will be surprised at what surfaces and what you learn about yourself and your work.

Thank you for spending time at Studio 24-7 and I always love to hear from you.


14 comments:

  1. I love the quilt, and I love what you wrote about it. I definitely need to start doing that, too! Though I live in Alabama, I saw you exhibit a couple of years ago at Furman University where my daughter goes to school. WOW! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your work with shape, Terry. The simplicity of your quilts is very inspiring. Congrats on teaching at QBL! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Julia and Connie.

    Julia, I'm so delighted that you saw my Furman show. The work looked so great in their beautiful gallery and the student response was over the top.

    I am very excited to be teaching at QBL Connie and believe it will be a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you were teaching there in August. I will be visiting family in the area. I can't wait to see Nancy's show!!

    BTW - love this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'd love to meet you and I think that will happen. I'd also love to see Nancy's show but alas it's just too far away. Will enjoy your comments on the show Gerrie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another stellar piece Terry. I learn something with every one of your posts. Writing a statement or comments about ones work is always useful and quite revealing. I need to implement that practice immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry, this piece is amazing. I wish I could take your class at QBL, I really need it and it would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Christine and Judi. As I said, writing is not my forte but like most things, the more you do it the better you get and there is a payoff. Judi, I would be delighted to have you at QBL or anywhere. By the way, I sat down yesterday afternoon and wrote some about a new piece I'm finishing. It isn't a real statement at this point but it is good information and I will continue to work on refining what I have written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so nice to see this a day after the lunar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sukipoet! Thank you for mentioning that! I had not though of it. I am a moonchild so I love things having to do with the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh, wish I could be in your class! Not only would you make it way fun, it just may teach me a pile about simplification and being direct. We will meet again, I can't wait! (Love this moon piece too!) S

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Miss Sandy! Thanks for your generous comments. I received my AQE catalog this week and I loved the piece you had in the show. Your compositions are perfect and I love the level of complexity you have in your work. My current theme is Simplicity and Complexity and it is finding the perfect mix of those approaches is what I strive for. I look forward to seeing you again IN PERSON! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this piece Terry and have been admiring your header. A good idea to write a statement for each piece but I must say I have a mental block about writing my own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much. Writing is not my favorite mode of expression but I almost think that because it is not my favorite, practicing more is a very good thing since we are always being asked to write about our work. I'm hoping that practice will make it better if not perfect.

    ReplyDelete