Abandoned - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
Acrylic Paint, Polyester Fabric, Mixed Papers
This is the completed version of my lamination experiment which I presented recently. I am surprised and happy with the results and will try to follow this process again to see what happens.
After I posted the first article, I decided to burn out most of the areas where the polyester fabric was exposed. This resulted in uneven edges and a somewhat open structure. The remaining fabric/acrylic curl-up and I then knew I would need to attach it to a substrate of some type.
Unfinished paper collage
Looking around in my studio for a solution I found some of the unfinished work I did in the Fran Skiles Workshop I attended last fall. I realized that the color, especially around the outer edges, was similiar to the color in my lamination and decided to use the collage as a support surface. I attached the lamination a little off-center and down which shows more of the collage on the top edge and right side.
The dark area at the bottom has had the exposed fabric removed. The white areas at the top are the fabric. I am very interested in the scuffed/worn appearence of the surface.
In this detail you can clearly see the texture of the surface. I attached the lamination to the paper with acrylic medium.
You can see bits of the imagery from the paper collage through the holes of the lamination.
This is a detail of the bottom right corner.
After the two layers were attached and dry I applied 2 layers of satin acrylic medium. The piece looks like a chunck of the wall of an abandoned building. For me the process is an amalgimation of some of the work we did in Fran's class, some of the processes we did in the Golden Acrylic Workshop I attended and lamination processes.
Thank you for visiting Studio 24-7 and remember, Commenting is FREE!!