Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Shortest Post Ever

Today while sitting quietly stitching, my mind was jumping around like a Mexican jumping bean. I was thinking about how my chosen medium sometimes doesn't get the respect it deserves bla bla bla and then I was considering whether or not this would be true if more men were involved bla bla bla and then I began to formulate an article bla bla bla and then I thought about The Gorilla Girls.

If you aren't familiar with the group you might enjoy a visit with them but beware, they are Gorillas - Women Artists with strong opinions.

Thank you for dropping by. Now go ape!

Remember: Commenting is FREE!!!

7 comments:

  1. I hate to be cynical, but I expect that if more men were around the men would get all the respect and credit -- most likely for "transforming" or "elevating" a "traditional women's craft medium" -- and the women would still, as Kiki Smith has observed, be marginalized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine and Melanie!

    Melanie, you could be right. I have seen notice of a couple of "all male" textiles shows the last couple of years and it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Melanie. The art world definitely isn't as open and accepting as some would have us believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandi. Thank you for commenting. This may be true but we need to continue to speak out and demand to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading the interview with the GG, http://www.guerrillagirls.com/interview/index.shtml

    there are certain things we did not get to choose about our lives but still must grapple with being responsible for...activism and fill in the blank, in our case that would read activism and art. it is a heavy burden and i fault no one for turning their backs on a calling that is so heavy to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karoda. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. It is true what you say about the burden of activism. That is one of the reason's I applaud the Guerrilla Girls. As a collective, they have focused on an objective and pursued their goals for many years now. A few years ago I had the pleasure of viewing an installation of the group and it was excellent and stood out within a huge group of works to be meaningful and on point. Happy holidays to you and thank you for dropping by. xo, T

    ReplyDelete