Monday, April 1, 2013

Work Selected for Fine Arts Center Collection


Manuscript One 
51.5" x 50" - 2009
Hand dyed and painted cotton fabric
Machine Pieced and Machine Stitched

I am very pleased to announce the addition of Manuscript One to the collection of The Fine Arts Center in Greenville SC.  The work will become part of the very impressive collection I mentioned in a previous article.  My show, Textile Construction, hung at the center in the Sheffield Wood Gallery and the work has been selected for the collection in Sheffield's honor.

Sheffield Wood was a talented young artist I had the pleasure to teach years ago during the summer session of The South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts.  She was a student at the Fine Arts Center and after graduation lost her life in a tragic accident.  Her parents, Fred and Kathy Wood, choose to honor their daughter and the school she loved by creating the Sheffield Wood Gallery.

***

Last Thursday Tom and I took my show down at the FAC.  I couldn't believe it was time to bring my work home!  We were in the gallery alone as we began to get organized when all of a sudden I felt the presence of people in the room.  We turned around and it was the entire Design class who heard we were taking the show down and came in to have one last look at the show.  They were quiet as clouds just standing in the big open doorway with their eyes wide open looking around.  What a marvelous compliment.  Thank you to each one of you for making my Residency and my show a fabulous experience.


Kaitlin Allison and Me


During my residency I had a couple of good visits with Kaitlin Allison and Marley White.  They came and asked to get a photo and I was happy to oblige.  I know that these young women have wonderful careers ahead of them be that career in art or fashion or whatever they choose.  They are great examples of the the talented, bright and motivated students at the school



Marley White and Me

In addition to taking my show down, Tom and I were invited to act as jurors for the Student Art Show which will open in April.  I hope to be able to attend the opening and I will report back.  I want to share some of the amazing work these students do.

***

Thank you for spending time at Studio 24-7.
Thank you Faculty, Staff and Administration of the FAC
for allowing me to participate in your
wonderful program.
I love hearing from my readers and commenting
Is Always FREE!