Monday, November 4, 2013

Mark Goodwin - Honesty and Simplicity


Archeology - Mark Goodwin
21.5"h x 15"w - 2010
milk paint, beeswax on paper


Many of you know that I am a fan of Pinterest and on occasion I publish links to artists whose work I find interesting.  Today is one of those days and I want to introduce you to Mark Goodwin, an artist living and working in Vermont.



Hint 1 - Mark Goodwin
42.5"h x 36"w - 2011
rabbit skin glue, pigment, graphite, milk-paint on paper

Mark's work spans painting, works on paper and sculpture.  His work has a spontaneous quality and is a bit raw and primal.  The scale of the pieces are modest and his color palette is mostly neutral.  The work spoke to me about honesty, trust and sublimity.  The work has a quiet confidence and modesty which I find very appealing.  It's the idea of showing your audience something rather than telling them something.


Web 2 - Mark Goodwin
9.5"h x 7"w - 2011
rabbit skin glue, pigment, milk paint on paper


After viewing the work on his website I read his statement and found a kindred spirit.  

Raised in a place where representation was paramount for something to be labeled art, I found great excitement in non-objective work where a black square on a canvas was enough. Today, in my own work, I flirt with representation yet shy away from rendering a specific illusion. Working in different media, my process both guides and responds to the inherent nature of the materials. I paint, draw, erase, scratch, fold, rub, and cut. Through the merging of traditional and unorthodox methods, I make something happen.
My attraction to older cultures and vernacular art, has informed my travels, readings and work. Without mimicking these references, I search for a similar sense of synthesis where something complicated is distilled to a natural simplicity. This doesn’t always happen quickly. The Chinese scholar stones and written tablets that I saw in China in 1983 are obvious influences on my recent sculptures. The scratches on the steps leading to my house are less obvious influences.
In a time when people expect a translation of a visual work into a written statement like this, I am a strong proponent of the belief that visual art is its own language, a non-verbal form of communication. The best way to understand my work is to look at it.



Group of Sculptures - Mark Goodwin
Mixed Media - 2010
I hope you will enjoy the pieces I have selected for viewing and please jump on over to his website and tumber pages.



View 16 - Mark Goodwin
15"h x 16"w - 2011
hide glue, pigment, milk paint, acrylic medium, paper on canvas
stretched on canvas
I had a hard time selecting works to use in this post as there were so many I responded to so I encourage you to investigate further to enjoy more of his work.

Thanks you Mark for allowing me to share your work and your insight.

...and thank you for spending time
at Studio 24-7!
I love hearing from you and
Commenting is FREE!!