Monday, July 7, 2014

Oil Sticks, Oil Paint, Cold Wax, Lisa Pressman, Cullowhee Mountain Arts and Western Carolina University


Oil Sticks, Oil Paint, Cold Wax on Paper
a study - TJD


The title of this week's article is the longest I've ever used but each part of the title is important.

Yesterday Tom and I returned from a week of study with Lisa Pressman at Cullowhee Mountain Arts on the campus of Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, NC.  It was a great experience and each of the elements in the title played their part well to make it such a success.



Tom and I hung all of our work in our home studio so it could dry. 

I had been wanting to study with Lisa for some time.  I love her work in encaustic and in oil and cold wax but most important I had read many very strong statements in support of her as a teacher.  Since Western Carolina is less than a 2 hour drive from my home, this seemed like the perfect time to join her class.

The class, Layered Media: Finding Your Mark in Mixed Media, offered the opportunity to work in oils which I hadn't done since high school as well as oil sticks and cold wax which I had never tried.  The class got off to a fast start and never slowed down.  Everyone in the class worked with great intensity and Lisa was always there to assist as you found your way in this interesting medium.



Lisa Pressman is pictured doing a demo.


The classrooms were large, well lighted and well equipped.  Everyone had a full 4 x 8 table and wall space as well as a double decker rolling cart for supplies.  We had choices of accommodations and we met each morning as a group for breakfast.  Lunch was brought to the art building and was nicely prepared.




Oil Sticks, Oil Paint, Cold Wax on Paper
two studies - TJD


The WCU campus is beautiful and interesting.  It is set on the side of a mountain with beautiful stonework walls and lovely views of the surrounding area.  

Norma Hendricks is the director of the Cullowhee Mountain Arts program and she is working hard to bring top quality teachers to be part of the program.  Due to the small size of the group, we were able to interact with Norma and her assistant Jana as well as all the program participants.  Be sure and check out the offerings for the fall season.

I'd love to be in the studio right now painting but tomorrow I drive to Graham North Carolina to deliver work for my upcoming show Contemporary Textiles at The Alamance County Arts Council Gallery.


I'll be posting more about the show in the coming weeks.



Oil Sticks, Oil Paint, Cold Wax on Paper
two studies - TJD

Thank you for stopping by
Studio 24-7.
I love hearing from you
and appreciate your
comments.