Saturday, January 1, 2011

Rescue Your Art Materials In 2011


I love art supplies. I love any material that I can investigate and use in the creation of "something" new. One of my Loves is beautiful yarn. I have had an appreciation of yarn since I was a freshman in college and learned to knit. I enjoy thumbing through catalogs of yarns and supplies and browsing online to see "what's out there". There are so many beautiful things available. I recieved some fabulous handwoven yarn from my son this Christmas and I can't wait to use it!

Of course I love to look at the materials and supplies I use to make my art work but I also enjoy reading about anything that is new on the market or just new to me.

I am confident that most of you have a similiar passion for your materials whatever they might be...paint, dye, fabric, wood, metal, gemstones etc. The world is filled to the brim with choices and these materials are filled to the brim with potential and possibilities. These possibilities and potential can only be released in the hands of the artist and craftsman. These materials allow us to satisfy our deep desire to create. In the hands of the artist, beautiful objects and powerful statements are brought forth into the world to teach us something, remind us of a long forgotten experience or to exist for their own sake.

How blessed we are to have the ability to create, the vision to see what is possible and the skill to follow that vision.

How many of you have stashes of untouched fabric that you're afraid to cut? A closet full of canvases you don't want to "waste" in an effort to learn to paint. How about the beautifully organized folder of embroidary threads untouched for years? I could go on and on but I hope you understand my message. Art materials are just potential until you the artist, the creative being, picks them up and adds your special magic. At that point the materials are transformed into something truly valuable. Until that point in time, all of these supplies are unused and unrealized, just as your gift of creativity is unused and unrealized if you aren't exploring and making.

My wish for you and for myself in 2011 is that we make the time to be in our studios fearlessly using those materials and our talents to fullfill our potential and experience the joy of Creativity.

For those of you who love yarn, the wool yarn pictured is from Spincycle in Bellingham, Wa. These women are living their dream and offer handspun yarn of the highest quality. Check'em out!

Thank you for your support and all of your wonderful comments in 2010.

I love hearing from you and remember...

Commenting is FREE!

15 comments:

  1. I am sitting here looking at a bookcase that is stacked with fabric, color coordinated, that has been that way for several months. I have decided to change.

    With my husband's medical issues, November and December were out of my hands. But it's a new year. I didn't get to several holiday ideas that I had intended, so my goal is to work on something 'Christmas' 3 times a week. That way, I will have plenty of gifts for family and friends, and I will work through my stash with purpose and determination.

    Thanks for your article, Terry. It has given me the kick I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post resonates with the truth. How often have I read that someone has been "afraid" to cut a favorite fabric for fear of messing it up?

    I have been following your blog for a month or so now (having gone back through your other posts) and I sure do appreciate the effort that you seem to put in to your writing. I just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Peg and Libby! Thank you so much for commenting! We all have so many things pulling at us and demanding our attention it is amazing that we get anything done. I have several projects in my closet that deserve to be completed and I'm going to make an effort to complete some of those this year while still making art. I also encourage people to discard "projects" which are old, tired, dated etc. and kept only due to the cost of the original materials. Give the stuff away and give someone else a whack at some fun! xo, T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, Thanks for this post. I'm so glad I am not the only "hoarder" artist around. I can now come "out" and admit to collecting materials I've never used because I often deemed them too precious. I spent the last week revising my studio to make it more productive and in the process found numerous "new" materials I had forgotten. Your post has inspired me to dig-in and let go! I will be making an effort to use these items and see what develops.
    Happy New Year to all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you, Terry. 'Art' is a new world for me. Your posts are always enlightening. But this one... Too true! I do believe I have some art materials to rescue. Thanks and here is to an exciting, profitable and productive new year of creating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goal is to use the technique books that I have purchased and try some new things with dye, paint, thread and fabric. I am tired of the guilt I have when I see them sitting in a pile.

    Happy New Year - I have enjoyed your blog this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Terry and Happy New Year to you!In just that last few weeks I have been using all the water color paper I want! They sell it every day is what I tell myself. Thanks for the support to create to our hearts content.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post, Terry -- my sentiments, exactly! Have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big "shout out" to Jane, Elle, Gerrie, Leslie, and Connie! You are wonderful and I appreciate your interest and participation in my blog. You and my "online" friends are the best part of doing this blog. Make 2011 be a Year to remember. xo, T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely! I gave up hoarding about ten years ago when I decided to simplify my life. I was stressed out by all of the stuff I was carrying around with me (reminds me of a hilariously funny monologue by George Carlin about "stuff). Any way, my rule is that I must keep only what I love, that I must use what I have and if I am not going to use it then I have to share it or give it away. This approach has helped me clear my space and my mind of clutter which gives me room to create.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Deborah! You are right on the money on several points. I love the idea of giving away materials we don't love or aren't going to use. I read something on this topic that really stuck with me, "Giving things away makes room in your life for new things"....or something like that. Your old "stuff" is exciting to someone else and you have the reward of more space.

    I too recall the George Carlin riff about "stuff". Very funny. Happy New year and thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just finished cleaning and organizing my studio from the pre-holiday rush, so that I could make room for the new fabrics I have been itching to dive into. Can't wait! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dive deep my friend! I'll look for you to surface in the spring;-)HNY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy, do I have supplies. Over the last year I have been much more dedicated to using them than buying new ones -- but I've also given myself permission to just enjoy looking at/stroking them. That's what I do with yarn these days, and maybe I'll get back to knitting it eventually. Your yarn is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Diane. I loved your comment about the love you give your supplies. You are definately connected to them and thinking about them so good things will happen. I'm knitting a lightweight poncho with the yarn so it's going to take some time to complete but I'll post when done. Happy New Year and thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete